Monday, October 13, 2008

Transitions.

It´s been quite awhile since I´ve posted about what´s been going on in my little corner of the world and so much has happened in the past few months that I don´t know exactly where to begin.

Since August, I´ve moved, once again. My new apartment is situated in the heart of The Hague, just a few minutes from school and work and right next to a beautiful little park. G also moved home at the beginning of August, giving us all the time in the world to get to know one another in ways that we were never able to when he was still living in Munich. Its been an interesting transition, one that´s introduced an entirely new element to the relationship and to daily life in general. It´s also given me a chance to start getting to know his family better and I´m absolutely ecstatic (though not very surprised) to find that they are wonderful and very interesting people. As of yesterday we now have a montly dinner date with his mother, stepdad, sister and her boyfriend, and are even planning on celebrating Thanksgiving together! It will be intriguing to celebrate my first Thanksgiving in 6 years with them, though the thought of producing a traditional turkey dinner with all the trimmings for the first time is quite intimidating. Luckily, G´s neighbor upstairs is armed with bundles of good American cookbooks to steer me in the right direction.

In other news, since the last time I posted, I´ve turned 25, made plans to visit Hawaií with G for three weeks in January, and have gotten a second job as a TA for one of my old professors at school. I´ll be helping her one or two days a week with grading, paperwork and planning a conference in December for an international conference on Diversity Through Art. She was one of my favorite teachers in my second year and is a truly dynamic woman who seems to have a hand in absolutely everything. In fact, we´re going to see Al Gore at conference in Aalsmeer tomorrow night before going for drinks to talk about the details of my new position and a blog that we are working on together for the showcasing of art, poetry and prose. Fun stuff! I´m really looking forward to it, even though I´m already wondering where I´m going to find the time for it all.

It´s strange how quickly the time has gone by and how much change it´s brought with it. Makes me wish I´d been a bit more diligent about jotting it all down here. There´s something strangely therapeutic about keeping a blog and actually updating it regularly. This is definitely something I have to work on. For the time being, I´m really enjoying the way things are, the way they look for the future, and the way that I am constantly reminded how lucky I am for it all. Here´s to happiness, to change, to love and trying harder to stop and reflect on it once in awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment